Tuesday, November 16, 2010
The Screen, Part 1
So there's the design of the screen for my room. It's in pieces right now, I'm going to put it together a little later today, and get some real pictures, but here's the low down of how it's going down.
I used 8 foot long 1x3 furring strips, to keep it cheap, and made the frame pictured above. It's 120 inches wide, so the cut list was four 60'' pieces, and four 50'' inch pieces. I cut the braces afterwards for the inner square.
I'm going to lay out some bedsheets and roll the screen fabric out facedown, and then lay the frame on top. Pull it tight, and staple it around the edges. I'm using blackout fabric, which I think is supposed to be used to keep sunlight out of a room, but I hear it makes a decent DIY front projected screen. My next project will be a rear-projection, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
The mounting system will be beveled pieces of scrap 1x3, cut so the only thing on my wall are a few blocks screwed into the wall studs, and then corresponding bevels on pieces attached the frame itself so it's not fastened permanently. This makes moving the screen easy and tool-free.
All in all, it should cover most of my wall. I should have measured this before I decided on the size, but I got lucky with about 6'' to spare on either side. I'll get some real pictures of the frame, the screen, and the finished product soon.
The fabric was about $20, the wood was $12, and I had the rest of the hardware needed lying around. It'll probably add up to take about a day's worth of my lazy time to put together and install, and then the rest of my free time to enjoy.